Monday, August 10, 2009

Doing what’s right.

There some instances in life where you look back and think that you should have taken a stand, defended the innocent and help someone in need. Well I was faced with such an instance last night and I let myself down, I regret that I didn't do anything.

    We were back from a trip to a nearby place, it was around one in the morning when the driver of the car honked at one guy on a motorcycle and over took him. The guy on the bike was drunk .He stopped the car in front of us and came out to the driver's side .He started saying all things like you were just about to kill me and live me for dead. The fact was that it was not the drivers fault at all! Without any provocation he slaps the driver and I am sitting beside him just watching. He starts dialling the number and saying that he will call the cops .He starts dialling a number and nobody picks up the phone. Finally it struck me that this guy just wants to just extract money from us, he starts demanding money from the driver, may be to have another bottle of alcohol. This continues for 5 minutes may be he struck the driver half a dozen times, the driver keeps pleading him to let go when he was never at fault. I think of stepping out of my vehicle and confronting him, I knew there were 6 guys back in the cab who would have taken my lead and confronted the bike driver. But I didn't and that's going to haunt me for a while, I told myself that this is not my fight, why should I be involved .Maybe I was selfish and a coward I can never forgive myself for that .I always believed that one has to stand up for the right, for the one who is innocent but I never did it. Finally one of us had the presence of mind to dial for the police hearing this drunken bike driver made a run for it. We registered a complaint with the cops and left.

I hope I won't disappoint myself again.

2 comments:

Badri said...

The only thing which i regret is once the drunk ***hole turned out to be a popper, we should have caught him there and handed over to the police...but all were tired, sleepy and out of energy....so this is a lesson for us to learn and kudos to murali for having such a gr8 presence of mind...

Maia said...

oh.... Im impressed... never thought ud think this way too...:) :) Glad.... :)